Friday, August 17, 2012

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games: Toddler Version
   My wonderful, sweet son used to eat anything put in front of him with a smile on his face.  When he turned three years old, that all stopped.  He wanted to only eat chips, candy, and junk food.  If he had ANYTHING to eat 3 hours before dinner, he would simply refuse to eat.  Often, he has gone to bed not having eaten dinner because he just refuses to eat his food.
    I am not a super strict mom, but I do expect my children to eat healthy.  I don't even mind if they have some "junk food", once they have eaten something healthy.   My older two are great eaters and love vegetables, so I was surprised with my third born hating them!
      So, this is my new plan for eating.  No snacking three hours before dinner, unless it's part of dinner served early.  TRY everything on your plate.  I usually try to make sure there are at least some things at the table that he likes, but I do expect him to try new things and not say "I don't like it" when he hasn't even tried it!
    This proved most difficult when one night last week, he wouldn't touch his spaghetti (because I had poured sauce on it), or his green beans.  I didn't think it was too much to ask to eat ONE green bean.  He went to bed without eating, by his own choice.  In the morning, he wanted cereal, and I presented him with his plate from dinner I had saved in the fridge.  I told him if he would eat ONE green bean then he could have his breakfast.  He went until almost 11AM before he decided, yes he was hungry enough to eat a green bean!!  He gagged it down, but then smiled and was proud.  In my opinion, children who are "picky eaters" will eventually break down and eat what is offered them, if they are allowed to get hungry enough.  Meaning, offering only water until they eat OR AT LEAST TRY the food being offered.
   So, do you agree with allowing your child to go hours without food, crying for food until they are so hungry they'll eat anything, or would you offer your child something else that you know they will eat?
  Thoughts anyone? 
PS.  Tonight, Jonathan cried because we were having baked ziti and he wanted it "clean" (no sauce).  So, I rinsed the sauce off of the pasta and meat.  He ate all his pasta but left the meat, and wanted more pasta. I told him "Yes, once you eat everything on your plate."  It only took a few minutes for him to decide to try the meat and he ended up eating seconds.  


3 comments:

Jody said...

I go through this same struggle with Gavin. He usually only ends up eating breakfast and that's it. I love that you saved the plate from the night before, that is great! I may have to try that sometime.

Benjamin said...

Keep it up Leah. We were made to eat healthy and we are still healthy to this day. Mom would make us eat one orange vegi a week, and like 4 green ones a week, and all sorts of stuff. One green bean is not asking to much. He'll just have to get over it. Ballanced nutrition is key at the growing stages in life.

Anna said...

We have had similar struggles with Nathaniel and we are vegetarians so all he gets are veggies! I agree with your methods, that is also what I do, if he does not eat he does not get a snack until the next meal. One thing that helped us a little is that Nathaniel received a book called the "Two Bite Club", it is all about trying new foods. He was so intrigued with the book that he will play along with being a member of the two bite club many times when he will not otherwise try a new or not so new food. Maybe a sticker chart would be good for every time he tries a food he does not want to eat with a reward once he has 10 stickers?

Our family

Our family