Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Our new pet, Timothy


We have a new pet turtle, and we named him Timothy.
This is his story.
One night last week, I happened to look out the gate and saw some kids gathered around a large tortoise. I was afraid they might him, so I went over, picked him up and brought him into the gate. The kids started trying to peek into our gate, calling to us, and refused to go away. I wondered if maybe this was their pet, and I had just taken their pet away? So, I went back out with him, they grabbed him and ran off. Katrina and Heather were devistated. They were sure the turtle would be hurt or mistreated.
So, I talked to my guard who told me that the kids had come by hoping to sell the turtle to me! They wanted to make a sale, and I had just taken him! With that cleared up, we settled on a price (7,000 -// or about $6 US). My guard negotiated for me and paid the money to the parents of the children (who had sent them over to sell the turtle!). That is how we got a pet turtle. Timothy lives in our yard. Now I'll have to figure out how to keep him out of my vegetable garden!

2 comments:

Debbie Legg said...

Looking forward to hearing more stories about Timothy the Turtle and your children. Give them all hugs from us. :)
Be sure to write down these stories. Could be the genesis of a book sometime... :)

Anonymous said...

Awww ... so cute! We used to have a tortoise just like Timothy that lived in our garden growing up. We called her Mrs. T. I'm sure the children love Timothy. I know my kids would! Just an fyi that our Mrs. T used to get a lot of ticks on her belly that we pulled off with tweezers so you might check Timothy every once in a while. Have fun!

Our family

Our family