Wednesday, May 19, 2010

School daze...


Ever since I have returned home to Arusha and my family Feb 15th, Katrina and I have been butting heads about homeschooling. We took a week off when I first got back, mostly because I was on jet lag. Then, we started school again, and I was shocked at how oppositional she had suddenly become. Seriously, she would sit and scream at me, or pout in the corner, or outright refuse to do anything regardless of the punishment. Yikes! So, in March, we took a much needed family vacation for 2 weeks to Dar to reconnect as a family, after I had been gone for a month.

We returned home to "life as usual", including school, and things have been doing better. She seems to swing between having good days and bad days, but the good days are starting to out-number the bad days. Praise God!

Even before all of these Behavior Issues, while I was back in the States, I was looking at material for some concerns I've had with Katrina's learning ability. (Not sure I'm saying it right??)... but I had some thoughts that she might be struggling with dyslexia or something similar (she often reads words backwards, and flips letters, etc.), as well as ADD or ADHD. Now, adding the behavioral issues on top of those two, makes school REALLY interesting. Not to mention we have a toddler that is very distracting, and Heather who doesn't mean to distract by her playing and singing, but does. Katrina is behind in phonics and reading (almost a grade level behind), but is doing really well in Math, go figure.

We are a little behind schedule with school, since we have taken so many breaks, but we will finish this school year in Sept, and will go right into 3rd grade. Please, everyone, if you could be praying for Katrina for her co-operation, concentration, and ability to learn and reading skills to improve. We are doing better, but we could still use the prayer!
PS. Heather is in K-4, and is starting to learn to read, and she loves it!

No comments:

Our family

Our family