Thursday, May 27, 2010

Doing better...

Bless, Billy! He had a wonderful idea for school and for the past two days, school has been MUCH nicer. He thought that each subject should have a definate time limit, and that when that time came, I should move on the the next subject instead of just continuing on indefinatly. School had been going on to 3 or 4pm, and Katrina's behaviour and attitude digressed during the course of the day. I was excited at the thought of finishing school by 1pm everyday, regardless of whether Katrina was "on-task" that day or not. So, I decided to give it a try.
We wanted to help motivate Katrina, so when we told her our new plan, we added that she could earn 5 minutes of time on her video game for each subject that she DID finish within the time allowed (30 minutes per subject). That put the pressure on her, and off of me to speed up the pace of school.
And it worked!! Praise God, it worked. She now is eager and excited to complete each subject and keeps asking, "How much time do I have left to finish Math/Writing/Reading/etc.?" I am amazed at how much she has been able to get on task.
She still gets distracted, but seems to be trying to get herself back on task alot more.
Thank you, Jesus!

2 comments:

Craig and Phyllis said...

That is great that the time limit worked! I am having some troubles with the James and Pasha with their schooling, too. We are trying to do some evaluating and looking at other types of curriculum. Praying that this new method works for Katrina and will help you out, too!

Jody said...

I am so behind on your blog right now. I have been so busy with my school stuff. Is the time limit still working? Rewards are always great too! Let me know if you need any other tips or help. I'm here for ya. Feel free to ask me any questions and I will try to help out. Home schooling has to be rough. I do not envy you. ((HUGS))

Our family

Our family