Friday, February 15, 2013

Missing Homeschool

Missing Homeschool?

I never thought I would say it, but I miss homeschooling!  We had a rough few years, and I was glad to have a break from homeschooling for this school year.  But, now I am really starting to miss it, and look forward to starting again next school year.  What do I miss?
     Being able to teach my children and experience those "Ah-ha" moments when they learn something new.   Most of school is about reviewing what you know, but it is amazing to watch someone learn something for the first time.
     Being able to sleep until we wake up.  I have to say that I am not a morning person.  We don't usually start homeschool until 9 AM.
     Kids have more time to spend together.  During the day, the girls would take turns entertaining Jonathan between lessons.  They had time to play together before school started, instead of rushing out of the door in the morning.  There was more time to play together after school, because there is no "homework" in homeschool. (It's ALL homework!)
     I can make my own schedule.  If we wanted to take a trip to the beach in February, we did!  If we wanted to do school up until the weekend of Easter to not lose momentum, we did! 
     I could to therapy everyday with the kids.  We did Audibox each morning, which help increase memory skills, as well as help correct reading reversals.  When we go back, I'll be doing Vision Therapy with Katrina each morning to help strengthen her eyes in their ability to focus and work together.
      We took time to read the Bible and memorize scriptures everyday.   I have to admit that I haven't had time to work on their memory work since being in the States, but I've been trying to have them read their Bible each morning.  The curriculum we are using also is a Christian curriculum. 
       I have more time with the kids.  I am starting to miss the girls, they are gone all day!  I find myself looking out the window at 3 PM, and getting their snacks ready.  When we homeschool, we have all day together to talk, read, and just be together.
      

We would do Audibox, a therapy that  helps with memory and reversals every morning.

Our homeschool room in Nairobi in 2011.
         That is not to say that we haven't enjoyed the public school this school year.  We are!  Their teachers have been great, and they have made good friends which is something I prayed about for years before we went back to public school.  It's been a great opportunity for the girls to grow in some interests independently of each other.  Katrina has been able to join band and sing solos for choir.  I wanted them to have some idea of what public school is like, which is what I grew up in.  I'm glad that they are having a positive experience with it.  But, I do look forward to having them home again!

2 comments:

Anita P. said...

Hi Leah,
I came across your blog when I googled homeschooling in Tanzania. I lived in the US for several years then came back to Tanzania a couple of years ago. I'm relieved to know that we aren't the only homeschooling family around here :-) You have a lovely family. We have a 13 year old son and an 11 year old daughter.
I was wondering if you are aware of any homeschooling groups or activities around Arusha. Any info you provide will be highly appreciated.
God bless you.

Manuela Garreffa said...

Hi, I was looking for informations in order to understand if unschooling is permitted or legal in Tanzania... can you help me? I am considering the opportunity to move (I'm Italian).

Our family

Our family