Thursday, May 3, 2012

Why I Love Arusha

Our family with Mt. Kilimanjaro in the background

As we are preparing to return to America on furlough at the end of this month, I am thinking alot about things that I have missed in America such as MY FAMILY, certain food you can't get here (peaches, pears, horseradish sauce, etc.), and just the convenience in general.  But, there are also going to be things that I miss here (in Arusha) while we are gone for a year. I really do love it here in Arusha.
                   Some of the reasons I love it here in Arusha:
1.  We have made lots of friends here since we arrived in 2005. I love also that most people aren't so overscheduled that they don't have time for you.  The "busy-ness" level in general seems a little lower here.
2.  I love that we are here to do ministry and help others.
3.  I really, really enjoy the weather here.  Year round, it is mild temperatures, 70's-80's.  It may rain and be a bit cooler, or be dry and a little hotter.  But, in general it's the same mild, moderate temperature year round.  And I LOVE that!
4.   I love being able to get FRESH, and very tasty tropical fruits within walking distance of my house anytime I want such as: bananas, coconuts, avocados, pineapples and mangoes.  YUMMY!
5.  Minimal media influences for our children.  Our kid's friends don't have iPods or laptops or cell phones, and neither do my kids.  I love that their free time is spent jumping rope, playing  hop scotch, playing in a sand pit, and riding bikes with their friends.
6.  Cultural diversity.  There are SO many cultures and people groups represented here in Arusha.  Besides Tanzanias, you will find many Indians, both Muslim and Hindu; white ex-patriots from countries such as America, Canada, Australia, Denmark, and Germany;  Africans from other countries here working for the UN; it's never boring!  When Katrina was in preschool here, she was the only American in the class that included Tanzanians, Finnish, German, English, and Maasai children.  My kids are used to being the only "white" children in a group, and have friends from all races and cultures.
6.  Language diversity.  See above!  The national language here is Swahili, which Bill and I know and the kids speak a little of.  But, there are so many other languages spoken here, and most of our kids friends speak English as a second language. They have never thought to tease someone for having an accent, they are just happy they know English!
8.  Living here is like living in a huge, lush garden.  Where ever you look, there are flowers, and trees.  Along most of the streets in town there are flowers and plants for sale along the side of the road, and the streets are lined with trees.
9.  I LOVE the view of Mt. Meru that we can see here from our house (and all over Arusha) daily.  It's gorgeous.  If we drive a little bit out of town, we can see Mt. Kilimanjaro, the tallest mountain in Africa.  Quite stunning.
10.  Hospitality.  Guests here are welcomed with outstretched arms.  And no need to call ahead of time.  Guests are considered a blessing, not an inconvenience or interruption.  If you go to someone's house unexpected they will stop what they are doing to offer you a meal.

There are many more reasons that I love it here.  I sometimes wonder... why doesn't everyone want to live here?!  But, I will be enjoying roast beef sandwiches from Arby's, and going to Target while we are in America!
   I truly feel that I have two homes now.  Arusha, and America.



1 comment:

Brittany said...

Hi Leah, Our paths have crossed several times here in Arusha (Church, Cinema, pool etc. ) but you might not remember me. I was searching for homeschool information here in Arusha and I found your blog. I have loved reading it. I wanted to invite you and your kids for a playdate. I have a four year old boy and a 10 year old girl. I know the timing is bad as you are about to go on furlough. If you like we can do it after you get back from the States. You must be so excited!!!! I am excited for you! Hope to hang out with you sometime soon.
Brittany Pulei # 0687 925 193
brittpulei@gmail.com

Our family

Our family