Sunday, February 5, 2012

My Many Roles

As a homeschooling missionary mom, I fill many roles in my children's lives.
TEACHER- I sometimes feel like this role is defining my relationship with my children. After all, I spend so much time during the day as their teacher. Katrina even calls me "Mrs. DeLaughter"or "Teacher"during school, I guess it is her way to distinguish between me being her mom and her teacher. When she was younger, she used to cry, "You can't be my mom AND my teacher!" I would calmy reply, "Yes, I can. And, yes, I am." I think that we are getting better at figuring out our roles in this homeschooling journey.

SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER- Since we attend church at Moshono Christian Church which is entirely in Swahili, and there is no Children's church or Sunday School, we have Sunday school at home before we leave for church. I know that all parents are the spiritual teachers of their children. Not everyone teaches their children their Sunday school lesson every week. Sometimes I print out coloring pages and teach a Bible lesson, sometimes I teach about nature and God's creation and make a lesson out of that. I actually feel the children get most of their Spiritual eduation during the week. Before school, we practive memory verses, read a Bible story and do a devotional.

GIRL SCOUT LEADER- Katrina and Heather are "PEGS" Girl Scouts, which is Postal Express Girl Scouts. In other words, long distance Girl Scouts. I'm not an offical Girl Scout Leader, but I am helping them each reach their goals and earn their badges. We do Girl Scouts on Saturday. Each girl does it seperately, as I feel they need this time to have seperate interests and activities.

SWIMMING TEACHER- While on furlough last time, we put the girls into swimming lessons which they loved. We haven't been able to do that here, so I have become their swimming teacher. When we go to a pool, I find myself giving diving instructions to Katrina or helping Heather swim underwater.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, MOTHER- At times it can be confusing and perplexing how this role is different from any of the others. I'm still me, and I'm spending time with my kids all day, helping or teaching them. So, why at the end of the day do they say, "Spend time with me, mommy?" Haven't we just spent all day together?! Yes, and no. "Teacher" Mom has been explaining how to subtract fractions or a phonics rule. But, there is more to being a mom than that. The kids need me to be just a mom to them sometimes. I try my best every day to spend time with each child by themselves. Even if it means turning on Elmo for Jonathan and letting one of the girls play a computer game for awhile. Because after all, who wants to just see their mom in school?











1 comment:

Kiersten said...

And you are so incredibly wonderful at each of those. Your kids are so very blessed. I miss you and your beautiful family. Can't wait for you to come your Eastview home for a visit. :)

Our family

Our family